why design

my path to the world of design has taken me off of my original course, one that was paved and straight, to a rocky meandering journey through my left brain. The feeling I get when I see a well designed building or interior is an incredible rush of emotion and wonder. Through my design education I am now able to put words to these feelings and understand what it is about these spaces that amaze me. My ultimate goal is to be the one making these forms and to give people a holistic surrounding in which to live, learn, eat and be. I want to improve life through design. I seek out simplicity in my life and strive for it in my designs. Functionality, although it sounds dry, doesn't have to be boring and it is one of the things that I respect most about a well designed system or space. I am inspired most of all by the beauty of the natural world; I want to celebrate and protect it through my work.

5.28.2008

Peer Review of Materials Charette



This afternoon we reviewed our teammates process work from the materials charette. I had the pleasure of reviewing Michelle Stohl's work in progress. Michelle is using an existing office building in Charlotte, NC to design a training center for Girls on the Run, a non-profit organization that helps girls succeed and break through social barriers. Her concept for this project is fittingly "breaking out of the box". She explores this idea through degrees of transparency and intersecting planes. Walls of varying thicknesses and textures pierce through each other and define space. A 3-form woven wall is the focal piece behind one coaching area for the girls. Michelle has created a mix of intimate spaces and group spaces to accomodate the different needs of the young women. In the lobby she has created an open inviting space using daylight and digital wall panels. My suggestions would be to develop further with colors that relate to the concept. The thick and thin penetrating walls work well, maybe place small individual or intimate nooks within the spaces they create when they intersect, and use these planes to develop shelving or storage. Maybe personalize different areas for the specific classes that they teach.

No comments: